I adjusted an easy recipe for wafer cookies from the Stork Bake recipe site to include desiccated coconut and mango essence. They turned out crisp with just hints of tropical flavour, like a lovely whisper of summer.
Coconut and Mango Wafer Cookies
(adjusted from www.stork.co.za)
- ½ cup (125 ml) Stork Bake
- 1 cup (250 ml) castor sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tsps mango essence
- 280g cake flour
- 50g desiccated coconut
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (or 150°C in a fan-forced oven).
- In a large bowl, cream the Stork Bake and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg and mango essence.
- Combine the dry ingredients and add to the creamed mixture. Mix well. If the mixture is too crumbly, add a dash of milk to help bind.
- Roll the dough into a firm log, about 6cm in diameter. Slice at 60mm intervals and shape into rounds, pressing down a little on each one.
- Decorate with sliced pistachio or sprinkle with a mix of pistachio powder and castor sugar.
- Place about 5cm apart, onto a greased baking tray and bake for about 12-15 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.
- Remove carefully onto wire racks and allow to cool.
- If desired, sprinkle with more pistachio powder and castor sugar before serving.