I have semolina on the brain today. I love the versatility of this ingredient. It makes a great component to savoury dishes as well, and I’m keen to try a few soon. But for now, here is a variation on my almond and vanilla semolina halva/sojee . In this iteration, I used ground roasted macadamia nuts and cardamom.
Roasted Macadamia Nut Sojee
- 1/2 cup Stork Bake
- 1 cup semolina
- 1 cup ground roasted macadamia nuts
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons condensed milk (optional)
- Melt the Stork Bake and add the semolina. Over medium heat, stir the mixture until the semolina browns slightly.
- Add the ground nuts and stir to combine.
- Lower the heat, add sugar and cardamom and pour in the coconut milk. Stir until the mixture combines.
- Cover the pan with a dish towel and place the lid over to form a seal.
- Simmer for about ten minutes or until the coconut milk has been absorbed. Taste for sweetness and add condensed milk if desired.
- Serve spooned into bowls with a topping of dessert cream and ground nuts, or shape in a mould and turn out onto a plate.
Here’s a little stop-motion type video of my process:
— saaleha i bamjee (@saaleha) June 14, 2018