For the banana bread mug cake:
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
- 1 large egg (+ 1 additional egg yolk – the white will be used for the meringue topping)
- 1 tablespoon coconut milk
- 1 mashed over-ripe banana
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
In a microwaveable mug add the oil, egg, yolk, coconut milk and banana. Whisk until blended.
Stir in the flour, coconut sugar and baking powder.
Microwave on high power for up to two minutes.
The batter may rise and spill over slightly.
For the coffee meringue topping:
- 1 egg white
- pinch salt
- 55g castor sugar
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee
Beat the egg white with the salt until peaks form. Add sugar gradually while beating until mixture is thick and glossy. Stir in the coffee granules.
Wait for the mug cake to cool down before spooning the meringue topping over. Use a blowtorch to scorch or place under a grill.