@saalehabamjeeMielie (maize) meal waffles, using a recipe adapted from the 1975 edition of Indian Delights. ##heritage ##fyp ##waffles ##southafricanfood♬ Pata Pata – Miriam Makeba
Mielie Meal Waffles
(adapted from a Mealie Bhajia recipe from the 1975 edition of Indian Delights)
- 1/2 cup maize meal
- 2 teaspoons crushed coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon chick pea flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 small green chillies, deseeded and chopped
- 1 bunch coriander, chopped
- a handful of salad onions, sliced thinly
- 1 cup of sweetcorn, mashed down slightly
- 1 to 2 eggs (this is optional)
- sparkling water
Sift the dry ingredients together.
Add the other greens and vegetables (and egg, if using).
Pour in a little bit of sparkling water at a time to form a thick batter.
If the batter becomes too runny, correct by adding an additional tablespoon of chick pea flour or a little bit more maize meal.
Warm up your waffle iron and prepare your waffles according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Serve mielie meal waffles with a yoghurt or sour milk dressing seasoned with salt, pepper, cumin and green chili chutney to taste.